Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Four Hypnotic Questions

I get asked so many questions about hypnosis and many do seem to be about the supposedly negative aspects of it. Just for a moment I'd like to address four of them;

Am I in control when in hypnosis?
We are all hard wired with a base set of rules known as the critical factor - these are the things that are so reinforced that you won't do certain things (unless you are of 'that' kind of mindset). Examples of people who are given suggestion that they find unacceptable show that they either ignore the suggestion or immediately come out of hypnosis. Always remember that stage hypnotists are looking more for a certain kind of personality (definately extraverted) rather than great hypnotic subjects (because most people can be hypnotised if they want to be). To sumarise, when in hypnosis you cannot be made to perform like a mindless robot - that idea is made up by fiction writers!!!

Will I loose my memory when in hypnosis?
I don't know where this one came from but it is completely wrong, wrong, wrong... The only time there is any form of memory loss is when a subject has accepted a suggestion usually seen in stage hypnosis. (note that the subject has to accept the suggestion) At the end of the session the person is back to normal and every thought and memory is back....

Can I be hypnotised against my will?
Totally 100% myth!!! Lets put it this way - I have colleagues that I simply enjoy working with and find I go into the hypnotic state so easily with their assistance. One in particular can by pointing and using the word 'now' and I will go particularly deep into the hypnotic state. The funny thing is I only have to decide that it isn't going to happen and nothing they say or do will change that. You will never be hypnotised against your will - they can be direct and it won't work, they can try and sneak it on you and when you realise whats happening you can end it (similar to breaking a day dream). In fact you have the power of coming out of hypnosis and / or refusing and suggestion or instruction anytime. You are in control - it's all myth!!!

The Hypnotic Coma?
Somedays when I am in self hypnosis I wish this was possible but that is due mainly to the fact that being in hypnosis feels so great and relaxing. The fear of the hypnotic coma is another myth brought about by good fiction writers. Should you be hypnotised and your therapist leave you, you would naturally wake after a short length of time (or longer if you manage to fall asleep during the session). I would have to say that 99% of the people I have dealt with really enjoy the feeling of being in medium to deep hypnosis and a small fraction may well resist the call to 'wake up' at the end of the session - this is because the feeling is so good and they would like to stay longer but they are not stuck there. They come out of the session after a reminder and or slightly louder instructions. You are still in control - just remember how hard it is rolling out of bed some mornings after a good nights sleep and you will get the idea how these people feel...

No comments: