Tuesday, September 09, 2008

It’s All In The Suggestion

In previous entries you may have noticed that I talk about both the hypnotic state and also the use of suggestion while in that said state. Hypnotic suggestions are the “tool” that a Hypnotherapist or a practitioner of self hypnosis uses to initiate what ever desirable change that is required while in the hypnotic state. The hypnotic state is simply that – the state of mind that allows any suggestion to be taken up effectively without the conscious mind intervening.

Suggestions used in hypnotherapy should be structured in a way that will enhance their effectiveness. I try and keep within some simple rules, these being;

Any suggestion should be made in a positive fashion – it’s kind of obvious I know, but I can tell you as a newbie Hypnotherapist this took some practice before I got out of bad habits. Words that we use so often like don't, can't, won't seem only to bring into sharp focus the very thing you are trying to change.

An example of this was one of my very first clients who came to see me for help in coping with sea sickness. My initial draft therapy had me saying “You don’t feel discomfort at the increasing motion of the boat” which would have had him noticing each and every little movement (probably before the craft left the trailer). A better suggestion (thankfully it came to me well before I saw him a second time) went “as the boat moves away from shore you are comfortable with each and every movement the boat may make and the further you travel the greater these feelings of comfort become”.

Suggestion should be based in the not too distant future as the client needs to be able to see themselves taking on their chosen behaviours. For example my boatie should be able to see himself sailing comfortably ‘now’ not sometime in the future. I always discuss with my clients about ‘shooting for mars but being happy landing on the Moon’ when I write therapies – once again to look at the boatie he believed a measure of caution was required to ensure his personal safety so although his discomfort decreased an amount of wariness remained that he was happy with.

Imagery should be used that engages all the senses allowing the client an easier route to buy in to what we are trying to achieve. Using the example I have shown so far some of the very things that reinforced the discomfort in my client he enjoyed on a different level so in the therapy his enjoyment of the spray and wind was amplified as his comfort level in rough weather increased.

It’s possible to use these patterns in your everyday speech and thoughts moving you from a potentially negative frame to positive until it becomes second nature. This attitudinal change will be beneficial not only to you but also those around you….

No comments: